Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Weather and a Movie

So, I’m finally writing in here again. I’m sitting in the car on my way home from Springfield, MO. It’s sleeting like crazy. And in one direction. Against us. Maybe it’s just the fact that we’re going 70 miles per hour, but it literally looks like the sleet is blowing parallel to the ground in the opposite direction of the car. The temperature gauge on the van reads 33. It’s like we’re in some game of God’s. One more magic degree, and we’re really in trouble, trying to get back to good ole Carrollton, Texas. I don’t really believe that God does that, don’t get me wrong. It’s just kind of ironic, I think. We can’t see too far ahead. Everything is dreary and kind of ominous. But I turned on Alexi Murdoch. And I’m writing. So I’m happy. If I’m still writing this when we get home, I might be kind of sad to arrive. I’m in a pretty good place right now.

Just watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. That movie will really get you to think. I really, really liked it. It’s about this couple that is having a hard time of it. Going through a “rough patch” in their relationship I guess. She decides to literally erase him from her memory, as if he never came into her life, and they never met. When he learns about this procedure, he decides to do the same, but only because she did. In the middle of it, he decides that he wants to keep her in his memory, but he can’t undo the procedure once it’s been started. It’s a really interesting concept I think. It really plays with the question, is it better to have loved and lost, or have never loved at all – which, is essentially what they accomplished with this procedure. Of course this memory erasing procedure isn’t real, but if it was, would it be ethical? If humans wanted to, would it be a good idea? The thought seems kind of nice. To be able to eradicate an entire relationship that ended badly. The feeling of wasted time would be gone, that’s for sure. The pain would be over and the horrible process of “getting over” someone would be non existent. So this memory erasing has its benefits. But I can’t help but thinking, what about ways that you grew with that person? Relationships teach us things. How to deal with people. What people are like on a more intimate level, and with each one, I think we take something very specific away from the situation. People learn from their experiences, end of story. And in the end, I think those lessons are worth the pain. That’s really all it comes down to.

No comments:

Post a Comment